Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2016

American Rocky Mountains- Leadville -Downtown Leadville

From Salt Lake City one travels over great plains of Colorado and up the Rocky Mountains, on the top of which is Leadville, the richest city in the world. . . They are miners men working in metals, so I lectured them on the Ethics of Art. I read them passages from the autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini and they seemed much delighted. I was reproved by my hearers for not having brought him with me. I explained that he had been dead for some little time which elicited the enquiry Who shot him? They afterwards took me to a dancing saloon where I saw the only rational method of art criticism I have ever come across. Over the piano was printed a notice: Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best. Impressions of America Oscar Wilde, 1882  

Once upon a time, Leadville was the New York City of the west full of adventurers and artists. Oscar Wilde had performed at the Tabor Opera House. Today, the 10 blocks of one street town remind colorfully charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment