Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2024

Australia- 10) Eden Town Walk

From the lookout point, I wandered through the charming town of Eden. My walk brought me to two significant landmarks that highlight the rich history and culture of this coastal town.

The first landmark was the St. Mary MacKillop Museum. This museum is dedicated to Australia's first saint, Mary MacKillop, who played a crucial role in the establishment of Catholic education in Australia. The museum offers a fascinating glimpse into her life and the enduring impact of her work. 

Located right next to St. Mary MacKillop Museum is the Eden War Memorial. This solemn and respectful site pays tribute to the local men and women who served and sacrificed in various conflicts. 

As I meandered through the town, I stumbled upon a beautiful tree adorned with unique flowers. The vibrant blooms were unlike any I had seen before, adding a splash of color to the urban landscape. 

Feeling a bit thirsty, I took a break at a roadside bench to drink some water. It was here that I met a friendly local woman named Joanna, who was out walking her adorable dog, Lucy. Joanna greeted me warmly and, noticing my interest in the town, struck up a conversation. She shared fascinating stories about Eden's whaling history, explaining how the town once thrived on this industry. Joanna spoke with great affection about the local heritage and suggested that I must visit the Eden Killer Whale Museum to learn more about the town's unique connection with whales. She particularly emphasized meeting Tom, the famous killer whale whose story is a highlight of the museum.



With Joanna and Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment