Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Exploring Tallinn Old Town (continued)

When I returned to the apartment after my morning exploration, my host, Ott, seat me down with a map, gave me a brief history lesson about Estonia, and pointed out a few interesting places to visit.

At 12:30 PM, I headed out again, this time towards the Fat Margaret Museum and Visitor Center (#23 on the map). I also made a quick stop at the cafe bar on top of the tower, as Ott mentioned I might get a decent view of the Old Town from there. However, as he had said, the view wasn’t particularly remarkable.

Leaving the tower, I entered the Old Town and made my way to St. Olav's Church (#22). I observed part of the service, but Ott had told me that the real highlight was the view from the top of the church tower. Unfortunately, entry required cash, which I hadn't brought with me. This was something new I encountered on this trip—some churches require a cash payment to enter, which made me wonder: shouldn't churches be free for everyone, considering they are places of worship? But then again, we were tourists.

After leaving the church, I walked to Tornide Väljak (Tower Square), another viewpoint Ott had recommended. There, I saw a couple of beautifully preserved towers.

Following the map, I then visited two popular viewpoints (#8). I climbed a set of stairs to reach the first one, Patkuli. The view was nice but somewhat limited. From there, I walked to the nearby Kohtuotsa viewpoint, which offered a truly fantastic panorama. The area was bustling with tourists.

Next, I returned to the main street in the Old Town to visit the famous Hellemann Tower, near the Viru Gate.   Unfortunately, once again, I couldn't enter because I didn't have any cash on me.

Tornide Väljak (Tower Square)





Obligatory Tourist Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment