Pages

Monday, September 2, 2024

Tallinn Impressions and Experiences

Before visiting Tallinn, I knew just a little bit about the capital city of Estonia by watching some YouTube videos, and I liked it that way because I wanted to discover more about it on my own. The reason I decided to visit Tallinn is actually quite simple: when planning a trip to Helsinki, I noticed on the map that Tallinn was just a 2.5-hour ferry ride away.

From YouTube clips and from people I met while traveling in Europe, I learned that Tallinn is a beautifully preserved medieval city. Initially, I planned to visit Latvia and Lithuania after Tallinn, but after realizing there were no direct flights and only long bus rides, I changed my mind and decided to visit Dublin on my way home instead.

The ferry ride from Helsinki was not what I imagined. I expected something similar to the ferries I’d taken in Sydney or Amsterdam, where passengers sit close together in rows. With that in mind, I was eager to board quickly, thinking I’d have to drag my big suitcase with me. But once on board, I discovered I was on a large vessel that felt more like a cruise ship than a ferry. The spacious interiors allowed freedom to move around, with multiple restaurants, bars, and even a play area for children. There was no need to lug my suitcase around either, as there was a luggage room for storing bags. The Viking Line ferry I took runs hourly from Helsinki to Tallinn daily, and I learned that many people living in Helsinki often take this ride to Tallinn as a day trip.

Upon arriving in Tallinn, I walked to my Airbnb, which was about a 10-minute walk from the port, managing to carry my big suitcase along the way. The Airbnb was the best I’ve ever stayed in—a modern two-bedroom apartment in a new building shared with a lovely couple. It was on the top floor, with both a rooftop terrace and a front balcony offering panoramic views of Tallinn’s Old Town. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to stay.

The next morning, the host sat me down with a city map and a pen. He gave me a brief history lesson on Estonia and then recommended places to visit each day.

Tallinn has a rich history dating back to the 13th century when it was founded by the Danes. Over the centuries, the city has been influenced by various powers, including the Hanseatic League, the Teutonic Order, Sweden, and Russia. These influences are reflected in the architecture, cultural traditions, and layout of the town. Walking through Tallinn Old Town is like stepping back in time. The narrow, winding streets, medieval architecture, and vibrant squares create a unique and enchanting atmosphere. It’s a place where history comes alive, yet it’s also full of modern life, with cafes, galleries, and lively markets.

The Airbnb apartment was just a 7-minute walk from Tallinn’s Old Town, so I explored everywhere on foot, except for one instance on the last day when I took a bus back after visiting the Film Museum.

Tallinn Old Town is said to be the most preserved and most beautiful medieval town in the world, and I must agree. I hope my photos do it justice!

Tallinn is a popular tourist destination. It may not be as busy as Dublin, but it seemed to me that people experience the city at a slower pace compared to Dublin. Visitors enjoy sitting at its many outdoor restaurants with friends and family, while young children play, enjoying a summer day without rushing. I spent two days walking in and out of the Old Town, checking out as many famous landmarks as possible, and yet there are still more places to explore. Tallinn Old Town is truly the most beautiful old town I’ve ever seen and the entire town is walkable.  

I spent my last day walking along Tallinn's coastline, venturing outside the Old Town for a leisurely stroll. The change of pace and scenery was refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment