Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2024

Exploring the Tallinn Old Town

Eager to explore Tallinn Old Town again, I woke up early and headed out, entering through the iconic Viru Gate. It was still early in the morning, and the streets were quiet, with only a few young people in festival attire lingering outside a restaurant, likely wrapping up a long night of socializing. Nearby, I took a photo with the charming Black Angus sculptures.

I strolled leisurely along the main street, admiring the colorful buildings in various architectural styles. I made sure to capture their beauty from different angles.

I walked to the tourist information center. There, I encountered two young men hanging out. As I approached, one of them noticed me taking photos and asked if I could snap a few shots of him. He seemed a bit tipsy from the night before and struck several playful poses for the photos. Dressed in a colorful outfit, he introduced himself as Daniil and mentioned that he owned a bar across the street. I nodded my head and said yes, of course you do.  We had a light-hearted chat about the statues of two Estonian writers, Jaan Kross and Juhan Smuul. Daniil jokingly pointed to Smuul’s statue on the wall and told me he wasn’t a fan. We took a picture together by Jaan Kross's statue, and he offered me some tips on exploring the Old Town.

Following his advice, I exited the Old Town near the information office and arrived at Freedom Square. I climbed to the top of the hill, where I enjoyed a wonderful view of the square below, with the bright yellow St. John's Church standing out in the background.

Next, I made my way to St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, it was closed, so I planned to return later. From there, I walked to the Danish King's Garden, where three faceless monk sculptures captured everyone’s attention. A musician played guitar nearby, adding to the atmosphere.

Afterward, I exited through a side door and descended to the main street, only to be met by rain. I took shelter in a side street for about five minutes until the rain subsided, then made my way back to the apartment. It was about 10:30 AM by the time I returned.






======

Tallinn Old Town Map

Two tombs up to the Tallinn Old Town government. They did a good job posting old town map detailing the attractions at various locations.  Here is a link I included here so you can download it online. 

VisitTallinn_A3_linnaplaan_juuni_2022_08.indd

No comments:

Post a Comment